“Let’s see, how do the claims on the front of Jo Swinson’s leaflet entitled “A Better Future for Britain” check out?
Claim 1: “Investing in our schools”
Really? As an MP, Jo has voted:
– For the academisation of schools and their removal from local authority control.
– Against said schools having a curriculum which includes personal, social and health education.
– To raise the UK’s undergraduate tuition fee cap to £9,000 per year.
– To allow student loan interest to be charged at market rates.
– To scrap the education maintenance allowance in England.
Yeah.. I don’t think she’s particularly fussed about schools, so I’m calling bullshit on that.
Claim 2: “Tackling the climate emergency”
Sorry I must be misreading that, because as an MP, Jo has voted:
– Against allowing CO2 emissions limits to be set.
– In favour of the sale of England’s public forests.
– In favour of cutting the subsidy for electricity generated via renewable or low-carbon methods.
– Against reviewing the environmental impact of extracting unconventional petroleum.
– Against requiring an environmental permit for fracking.
It goes without saying, but I’m calling bullshit on that too.
Claim 3: “Jo Swinson: Britain’s next Prime Minister”
The Lib Dems would need to win a majority for that to happen, because in the event of a hung Parliament, the incumbent Prime Minister would stay in power and be given the first chance to create a government. Only when that fails would BoJo invite an opposition party to form a government. So.. they’d need to retain their 21 seats and gain an additional 305 (a 1452% increase) for them to win a majority. Given that her party has become somewhat of a refuge for washed up Tories and Blairites, I reckon there’s more chance of RuPaul becoming the next Prime Minister.
The fact that ￼she has the audacity to distribute that leaflet and expect to be taken seriously beggars belief. If she’s going to demand a place on the television debates, why not give a platform to the leader of every political party in the UK?