Police Officer killed & MPs locked in the Commons after terrorist attack on UK Parliament


“We offer our deepest sympathy to the family of the officer who has died. Our thoughts are also with all those killed and injured. This incident sadly shows the dangers our colleagues face on a daily basis. They show incredible bravery protecting the public. The Metropolitan Police Federation will be supporting the officer’s colleagues in any way we can.” – Ken Marsh, Chairman, Met Police.


4 people are dead and 40 are injured after a terrorist attack on the Palace of Westminster. Police Officer Keith Palmer was stabbed & killed during the attack on the UK Parliament. The attacker used his car to mount the pavement on London Bridge and mowed down pedestrians.

The attacker then attempted to enter the grounds of Parliament, was stopped by barriers, got out of his car and stabbed the police officer with an 8 inch blade and was then shot by MET police officers.

Three other people have been killed in the attack on Westminster Bridge, described by MET police as a “terrorist incident”. A dozen more pedestrians have been hurt resulting in serious injury, described by police on the scene as ‘catastrophic’.

Witnesses say there were multiple gun shots heard inside Westminster, and the House of Commons was immediately shut down.

Another eye witness said:

“I was just walking across the bridge when suddenly a bus stopped and everyone started screaming. I tried to stop people coming on to the bridge.”

Parliamentary Correspondent Quentin Letts said:

“I saw a thick-set man in black clothes come through the gates into New Palace Yard, just below Big Ben. He had something in his hand, it looked like a stick of some sort, and he was challenged by a couple of policemen in yellow jackets.

And one of the yellow-jacketed policemen fell down and we could see the man in black moving his arm in a way that suggested he was stabbing or striking the yellow-jacketed policeman.

The other officer ran to get help and the man in black ran about 15 yards towards the entrance.

As this attacker was running towards the entrance two plain-clothed guys with guns shouted at him what sounded like a warning, he ignored it and they shot two or three times and he fell.”

Members of Parliament were ordered by the Speaker of the House, at the advice of the Security Services and Sergeant at Arms, to remain in the Commons until 19:42.

“Today’s horrific attack in Westminster has shocked the whole country. All our thoughts are with the victims of this outrage, their loved ones, families and friends.

Those victims include civilians and police officers, Londoners and visitors, subjected to a brutal and indiscriminate assault.

Our thanks and gratitude go to the police and emergency services who responded so bravely, and to those – including the MP Tobias Ellwood – who went to the aid of the injured and dying.

This was not only an attack on innocent people. It was also an attack on our democracy.

But I know that Londoners and people across the country will stand together in defence of our values and diversity.” – Labour Party leader Jeremy Corbyn




This is a "Pay as You Feel" website Please help keep us Ad Free.

You can have access to all of our online work for free. However if you want to support what we do, you could make a small donation to help us keep writing. The choice is entirely yours.